Don't be scared. It's tofu. We pride ourselves in the ability to convert even the biggest skeptic to our tofu ways. Oh, Grasshopper, breathe, learn and enjoy!
1) Tofu has been used for over 2000 years. Developed in China around 200 B.C. Gotta respect your elders.
2) Freezing it is super cool! Ice crystals make grooves and layers that enable the tofu to be played with in a myriad of ways. We thaw and squeeze that baby block of tofu and voila: a blank slate for all kinds of goodness.
3) Protein and other such nutritional thank yous. Of course, tofu is happy to reward your curiosity with a smorgasbord of good nutrition. 1/2 cup of tofu has about 10 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat, 25% of our daily dose of calcium, 11% of the iron the big guys think we should have. PLUS: tofu is captain of all 8 of our essential amino acids. Dang, tofu, you are very kind to our bodies.
4) Okay, we don't suggest taking a bite out of a plain block of tofu. Agreed, yucky. But that sneak-a-saurus tofu is a master of disguise. It can be baked, stir fried, sandwiched and scrambled. Used for desserts, floated in soup, and cubed in a salad. Italian, Mexican, Asian, American dishes alike can all be enjoyed with our pal, tofu.
Not convinced? Here is a little something we like to make with tofu. We hope you will too.
*1 block firm tofu (you can use extra firm but just firm is way, way better)crumbled ans smished up
*titch of oil
*1 small onion, diced
*1/2 - 1 (depends on size and your taste) red bell pepper, diced
*anything else you want: mushrooms, garlic, spinach, cilantro
*Red Star Nutritional Yeast Flakes about 3 TBS...this is usually found in bulk bins of natural food groceries. It is a very nutritional and tasty addition to tofu.
*Magic liquid mix: 2-4 TBS Tamari Soy Sauce
1 TBS Chipotle (more if you want)
1/2-1 cup H2O
Put those liquid guys in a measuring cup, whisk together
*Saute onion til translucent app 5 minutes
* add pepper, mushrooms, garlic if wish. Saute another couple of minutes until mushrooms aren't raw
*Throw in your tofu and Red Star Yeast. Cook for a bit, stirring often
*Add Magic Liquid Mix. Stir. Let boil down and be as juicy or not as you want.
*Finish with cilantro and/or scallion if want
This can serve 3-4 folks. Or just 2 if you are Becky's Son In Law